Designing Successful Intranets workshops
The WIC offers workshops based on feedback from the 34,000+ intranet end users from the 130+ organisations who have participated in the Worldwide Intranet Challenge (WIC).
An intranet’s success depends on how well it is accepted by the people that matter most – the intranet end users. No matter how nice the intranet might look, how much time has gone into it or how good the content might be, if people are not using it, it’s a big waste of time and money.
This workshop looks at what it takes to build and deliver a successful intranet - one that people will use! During the workshop, we review each participant’s intranet in detail and recommend improvements based on the latest research.
How do I register?
Workshop dates and locations wil be listed here as they are scheduled. You can also request an in-house workshop for your organisation if you wish.
The workshop covers the following topics:
- Discussion and review of each participant’s intranet
- Specific suggestions for how to improve each participant's intranet
- Phases of building and designing an intranet
- Building a business case or action plan for your intranet
- Structuring your intranet content by identifying information types and views
- Prototyping options
- Implementing a SharePoint intranet
- Designing the look and feel – home page design and template design
- Developing your content – review of the 9 types of intranet content
- Developing an approach to communication
- Making your intranet dynamic (social)
- Maintaining & managing your intranet (governance)
- Managing & measuring intranet performance
All topics include:Tips, tricks and advice from leading intranets, relevant references and supporting material, examples and demonstrations, including a detailed example of a SharePoint intranet prototype.
What participants say…
“This was really helpful and I’ve gained a lot of knowledge and this will definitely help me with our future redesign of our intranet. We went through a lot of practical advice on managing intranets, plus we saw a lot of examples of good practice”- Craig Hamilton, Arts Council England
“I liked the the style and the knowledge of the tutor. Very good… would recommend to anyone!!! ”- Claire Halford, GKN
"Really effective workshop. It was good to have real evidence to support the material.”- Rebecca Wilkins, Belron International
"It is helpful to have the resources/case studies to go back to when speaking to the business about the intranet" - Stuart Ward, Arts Council England
“The course materials are extremely comprehensive and I have left the training thinking about how I will approach my new Intranet.”- Geri Overberg, Medibank
"It’s good to have access to, and structure of, the resources. Very helpful to have the information sorted the way it is. Really helpful particularly where we are on our journey."- Jill Roche, World Vision