The Worldwide Intranet Challenge (WIC) intranet survey has a new number 1 ranked intranet - Bupa Australia!
Over 13,000 intranet users from the 44 organisations in 13 countries have participated in the Worldwide Intranet Challenge (WIC) (intranet satisfaction survey). Feedback from Bupa Australia's intranet users rates their intranet as offering the most value. A sample of comments from Bupa staff about their intranet include:
"the best - I have learnt a lot from the intranet - thanks"
"The Intranet is easy to use and the information put together is concise and relevant. The intranet team are always responsive and if they cannot answer your query they will find who someone who can. Very enjoyable experience all round!"
"I think it's bloody brilliant!"
Bupa ranked either number 1 or 2 in the following question topics:
- Look and feel of the intranet
- Consistency of page layout
- Labelling of Intranet content with an owner
- Instructions for completing work tasks
- Access to online or printable forms
- Access to templates
- Access to policies and procedures
- Access to business applications
- Access to relevant external web sites
- Access to calendars
- Information for new starters
- Intranet improvement
- Overall value of the intranet
Bupa also ranked highly in many other questions and is ultimately now the number 1 intranet, based on end user feedback. The Bupa intranet is also a winner of a 2010 IABC Gold Quill award for Electronic and Digital Communication - Management.
The chart below shows Bupa's ranking (out of 44 organisations) for the question about the overall value of the intranet.
So what is the secret of Bupa's success? We asked Josh Patel, Bupa Australia's Intranet and Content Manager, this very question. According to Josh it's a combination of factors:
- Building a vibrant and sustainable community of content providers by providing on-going support, training, rewards and recognition
- Conducting regular inventories and audits of content to make sure it is relevant
- Pro-actively requesting feedback from staff about how the intranet can be improved
- Ensuring style guides and best practice guidelines are being followed
- Engaging staff through fresh, dynamic and relevant content
Josh will be answering questions and sharing tips, techniques and tricks about Bupa Australia's intranet at an upcoming event in Melbourne: Intranets that work: from hobby-horse to work horse. If you are interested in discovering ways to improve your intranet, register to hear Josh speak at this event (along with presentations from 2 other leading WIC intranets).
Below is Bupa Australia's intranet home page (click for a bigger image).